The deadline for the Amelia Lapena-Bonifacio Literary Awards has been extended to January 30, 2015, at 5:00 PM. All undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled for the Second Semester, AY 2014-2015 are invited to submit. Current faculty members of the English Department are not eligible for this award.
Authors may submit works of poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, or critical essays for this award. For each category, the First Prize will be awarded PhP 5,000; Second Prize, PhP 3,000; Third Prize PhP 2,000.
1. The contest is open to bona-fide undergraduate and graduate students of U.P. Diliman enrolled in the 2nd semester of AY 2014-2015. The contest is not open to faculty members of the English Department.
2. Authors may submit not more than 2 entries in each category.
3. The author must submit the following documents in a sealed long brown envelope: (a) one (1) original and three (3) copies of his/her entry, without author’s name; (b) on a separate sheet of paper, the author’s full name and contact information; and (3) a photocopy of his/her Form 5 for the 2nd semester AY 2014-2015. The title of the entry and the category should be written or typed on the envelope.
4. Only unpublished works may be entered.
5. Only works which have not won a prize in another contest may be entered.
6. In the short story category, an entry must be not more than 20 pages in length.
7. In the poetry category, an entry must consist of at least 5 poems.
8. In the creative nonfiction category, an entry must be not more than 20 pages in length.
9. In the critical essay category, an entry must be not more than 20 pages in length.
10. All entries must be written in English.
11. Entries may be on any subject or theme except for the critical essay the topic of which is limited to Philippine literature in English.
12. The author shall retain ownership of the copyright to his/her award-winning work. However, the sponsor shall have the right to first publication. Editors designated by the sponsor may edit portions of the work to suit the demands of publication.
13. The prize will be withdrawn from any author found to have plagiarized his/her winning entry entirely or in part.
14. Entries must be addressed and submitted to Dr. Lily Rose R. Tope, Department of English and Comparative Literature (DECL), Bulwagang Rizal, UP Diliman not later than January 30, 2015.
15. All entries should be typewritten or computerized, double spaced, on 8½ x 11 inches bond paper, with one-inch margin on all sides. If computerized, the font must be Arial or Times New Roman and the font size 12.
16. The Board of Judges shall have the discretion not to award any prize if, in its judgment, no meritorious entry has been submitted.
17. The sponsor has the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges in each of the categories.
18. The names of the winners and the names of the Board of Judges shall be announced in February 2015.
19. All parties submitting an entry are deemed to have accepted the rules of the contest, and agree to abide thereby.