Payag Habagatan or “the Southern Hut”, an inaugural literary home for emerging voices from the southern Philippines, is now accepting works of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, drama, and critical essay in English and/or in Binisaya languages that speak of a ‘sense of place and placelessness.’
To qualify, contributor must be a writer born and/or based in the Visayas and Mindanao.
This online and free-access literary journal comes from the necessity to (1) serve as a critical, counter-canonical platform to the hegemony of mainstream gatekeeping institutions, (2) assert multifaceted constructs of identity in the literatures from the southern Philippines, and (3) abolish center-periphery orientations in the “national” literary landscape.
Submissions, either previously published or unpublished, may be any of the following:
- Poetry: 1 poem (not more than 70 lines each);
- Fiction: 1 flash fiction (500-1000 words); or 1 short story (2500-4000 words); or 1 novel chapter (4000-6000 words) with a novel synopsis;
- Essay and creative nonfiction: 1 flash nonfiction/suite of micro-essays (500-1000 words); or 1 creative nonfiction such as personal essay, travel writing, nonfiction memoir, literary journalism, or lyrical reportage (2500-4000 words);
- Drama: 1 one-act play (25 to 40 pages); a 10-minute screenplay; or an excerpt of a full-length play;
- Critical essay about works about and/or writers from the Visayas and Mindanao (1500-4000 words in the MLA format).
All submissions should be in Georgia font size 12, double spaced, in MS Word format. For previously published works, indicate publications where these have appeared. Copyright of the works remains with the authors. Send manuscripts as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org together with the author’s full name, email address, mobile number, home address, and a short bionote in the email’s body.
Announcements such as book launchings, local author talks, manuscripts call for publications and workshops, and other literary events to be held in Visayas and Mindanao are also welcome. Submissions are welcome all throughout the year. Inquiries may be directed to the email address above or through the official Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/payaghabagatan.
The editors of the online literary journal are writers from the Libulan Queer Collective—poet-essayist Alton Melvar Dapanas and fictionist-playwright R Joseph Dazo.