The Visayas State University (VSU) and the Katig Writers Network Inc., in cooperation with the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), invite applicants to the 15th Lamiraw Creative Writing Workshop on August 10-12, 2018 at the main campus of Visayas State University, Visca, Baybay City, Leyte.
Lamiraw Workshop is a multilingual literary writing workshop run by Katig Writers Network Inc. which is toured every year in state universities across Samar and Leyte. It fosters revival of local languages and inter-regional writers’ exchange, targeting both aspiring and practicing writers who would like to hone their craft in poetry, fiction, the essay, and drama. This year, 10 slots for Eastern Visayas are up for grabs: (3) for Waray, (3) Sebuano (for Western and Southern Leyte writers), (2) Inabaknon for Capul, N. Samar, (2) English, and (5) slots for returning fellows by invitation.
Works submitted for the selection process must be unpublished and not yet submitted to other workshop screenings in the country. Applicants may submit any or a combination of the following: 5 poems, 1 short story, 1 essay or 1 one-act play. Font type must be Times New Roman and font size must be 12. Returning fellows will have to present their ongoing book project and their poetics.
The fellowship includes subsidy for board and lodging, proportional transportation allowance, a visit to the VSU Natural History Museum, an eco-tour at the VSU Rainforestation Demo Farm, and a visit to the Ormoc City Hall for the Day 2 workshop.
This year’s keynote speaker is Dr. Dinah Roma of De La Salle University (DLSU). Among the panelists who will be joining the keynote speaker in the workshop critiquing are:
- Merlie Alunan – Professor Emeritus of the UP System
- Antonino De Veyra – UP Mindanao
- Timothy Montes – De La Salle University (DLSU)
- Jerry Gracio – Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF)
- Michael Villas – Visayas State University (VSU)
- Daryll Delgado – Multi-awarded writer/Katig member
- Yvonne Esperas – ExeCon member – National Committee on Literary Arts
- Voltaire Oyzon – Leyte Normal University (LNU)
- Lucien Letaba – Multi-awarded composer/lyricist/graphics artist
- Harold Mercurio – Northwest Samar State University (NwSSU)
Applicants should fill out and send the 15th Lamiraw official application form together with the soft copy of their works in MS Word format to email@example.com. Kindly include a scanned 2×2 picture of the applicant. Deadline for submission is on June 15, 2018. Fellows who will qualify will be informed through email or by phone. For inquiries, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.