Bernardo O. Aguay Jr. is a teacher by profession and he has units in Master of Arts in Literature in Ateneo de Naga University.
His continuous involvement as resource person in Theater Arts and Creative Writing of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA) training teachers from all over the country through the SanayGuro Program of DepEd and ARTIST, Inc. is a concrete evidence of his facilitation skills.
Mr. Aguay is a winner of Carlos Palanca Memorial Award for Literature in 2011 with his entry Posporo—a one-act play whose central theme revolves on life’s journey of urban poor experience of a battered wife, street children, male and female sex workers and gay issues. The same script was produced and converted into a film shown to public in September 2013. His accomplishment in filmmaking was remarkably recognized when the film SAKAY: Andas sa Barotong Papel which he wrote and directed won Best Picture and People’s Choice Award during the First Penafrancia Short Film Festival 2013. His film Simong Lawog won 2nd Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Actor awards in the 3rd PSFF 2015 and his short film Tuninong na Bayani, garnered Best Actor and Best Production poster during the DOH-Regional Office V Shortfilm advocacy against Dengue, June 15, 2017.
Recently, his writing prowess was recognized in National Level when his works was included in UP Diliman Likhaan Journal 10 published in December 2016; and his collection of 50 poems in Filipino which was recognized by the UP Diliman National Writers Workshop Committee last February 08, 2017.
He is a self-published author of several books in Bikol and Filipino like Gibsaw sa Salakab (Bikol Poetry of Rural Community Life), ISBN 978-971-94083-0-7 published in 2008;
Tulakaratula (Filipino Poetry on Urban and Rural Life) published in 2011;
Taragoan Bingkay (A collection of short stories in Bikol tackling Parochial life, Gay literature and superstitious belief) published in 2016.
Other written works published in local and national publications such as For-Guy, a short story in Bikol included in the anthology Hagong by Paz Verdaded Santos and H. Francisco V. Peñones Jr., Ateneo de Naga Press, 2013. Kuhol and X-men an Padalan sa Vic Theater, two poems published in an anthology Sagurong edited by Paz Verdades M. Santos, Vibal Publishing for De La Salle University, 2011; Paratarok, a poem published in Salugsog sa Sulog, 2006; Sundalo and Mula sa Paggising Hanggang sa Huling Patak ng Kape, two poems published in Philippine Free Press, 1994; and Bata Pa, a short story published in Barkada Magazine, 1992.
The stage plays he has written and directed are the following:
- Playwright –Director, “Mga Mumunting Yagit ng Lipunan,” staged in the different provinces in Bicol sponsored by DECS, 1988-1990
- Playwright-Director, “Simeon A. Ola,” entry to the Second National Theater Festival, Cultural Center of the Philippines, February 1996
- Playwright-Director, “Manto,” A Bikol Zarsuela presented in honor of the 300 Years Devotion to Ina, sponsored by the Archdiocese of Caceres in cooperation with the National Commission for Culture and the Arts,2009-2010
- Playwright-Director, “Botyok’s Adventure Beyond the Bridge,” an environmental play sponsored by the Southbridges Learning Center, Naga City, 2010
- Playwright-Director, “Surog Salog,” (Dagling-Dula) presented during the launching of Susog Salog, a project to save Naga River of Naga City, Cam. Sur held at Tinago Barangay Hall on May 8, 2015.