Francisco V. Penones Jr. is an award-winning poet and journalist. He is also a visual artist, an indie-film actor and civil society organization leader engaged in sustainable development and heritage preservation advocacies. He is a member of the National Committee on Literary Arts representing Southern Luzon in the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, a member of the Board of the Philippine Chapter of the International PEN, and the national Board of Trustees of the Philippine Rural Reconstruction Movement. He is the editor of Bikol Reporter weekly newspaper, and Correspondent of the Manila Times.
His books include P.I., and Cancion nin mga Tawong Lipod, both published by the Ateneo de Naga University Press in 2014; Hagong: An Anthology of Contemporary Bikol Fiction (co-edited with Paz Verdades Santos) which won a National Book Award in 2013; Sinaraysay: Halo-halong Blog nin Buhay (with Rizaldy Manrique and Judith Balares-Salamat, 2011); and Ragang Rinaranga (Beloved Land, 2006).
He earned his AB-Political Science from the Ateneo de Naga University, his M.A. in Teaching Literature from the De La Salle University as a CHED Scholar; and his M.F.A. in Creative Writing from San Jose State University in California as an International Ford Foundation Fellow.
LIST OF WORKS
- Operation Uhaw (flash fiction) GIROK: erotica/Marissa Redburn, Estelito B. Jacob, Honesto M. Pesimo (eds), KABULIG BIKOL INC., 2017.
- Kwarto Tyempo & Adtu Punok na Dukesa ko sa Kabaong (poems), GIROK: erotica/Marissa Redburn, Estelito B. Jacob, Honesto M. Pesimo (eds), KABULIG BIKOL INC., 2017.
- Escort (fiction). Anthology of Modern and Contemporary Philippine Stories. Kurata v hadi kleci (Chicks in the Snake’s Cage), Silvie Mitlenerova & Jaroslav Osla Jr., (eds), 2017.
- Tito Sarte Sarion On The Go: His Story & Daet’s Transformation (a biography), BICOL AHEAD,2016.
- Bamboo Song, Verses Typhoon Yolanda, Eileen R. Tabios (ed), Meritage Press, 2014.