Rolando B. Tolentino is the current director of the UP Institute for Creative Writing. He is also a faculty member of the UP College of Mass Communication. He is the founding chair of Katha, the fictionists group in Filipino, and is a member of the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino and the Congress of Teachers and Educators for Nationalism and Democracy (CONTEND-UP). His works include: Sakit ng Kalingkingan: 100 Dagli sa Edad ng Krisis (2005), Kuwentong Syudad (co-editor, 2002), Sapinsaping Pag-ibig at Pagtangis: Tatlong Novella ng Pagsinta’t Paghinagpis (1999); Fastfood, Megamall at iba pang kwento sa pagsasara ng ikalawang milenyum (1999); Relasyon: Mga Kwuwento ng Paglusong at Pag-ahon (co-editor, 1999); Ali*bang+Bang atpb. Kwento (1994); Habilin: Antolohiya ng Katha Para sa Pambansang Kasarinlan (co-editor, 1991); Engkwentro: Kalipunan ng mga Akda ng Kabataang Manunulat (co-editor, 1990).
He has received many awards here and abroad, namely: Distinguished Visitor, UC-Berkeley and UCLA Southeast Asian Studies Consortium (2006), Visiting Fellow, Sociology Department, National University of Singapore (Jul 2005-Dec 2006), Obermann Summer Research Fellowship (2004), Best Arts Book, Gintong Aklat, (2002), Writer’s Prize, National Commission for Culture and the Arts (2001), Manila Critics Circle Award for Best Film Criticism Book (2001); Gawad Chancellor for Best Literary Work (2001); Lily Monteverde Professorial Chair (2000-2001); UP International Publication Award (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003); Henry Sy Professorial Chair (1998-1999); Carlos Palanca Memorial Awards for Literature, 1998, 1994, 1991; Research Grant, U.P. Office of Research Coordination, 1998-1999, 1999-2000; Research Grant, U.P. Center for Integrative Development Studies, 1997-1998; Angara Fellowship, U.P. Women’s Studies Center, 1997-1998; Belmonte Creative Writing Grant, U.P. College of Arts and Letters, 1997-1998; Research Grant, Sumitomo Foundation, 1997-1998; CCP Gawad para sa Alternatibong Pelikula at Video, 1996; All University Predoctoral Merit Fellowship, USC, 1993-1996; Fulbright Grant to pursue Ph.D. in area of Critical Theory and Cultural Studies, 1992-1996; Writing Grant, Cultural Center of the Philippines; Thesis Grant, Philippine Social Science Council, 1991.
- Indie Cinema at Mga Sanaysay sa Topograpiya ng Pelikula ng Filipinas (Manila: UST Publishing House, 2017)
- Kabataang Kulturang Popular at Mga Sanaysay sa Kartograpiya ng Disaster at Aktibismo sa Filipinas (Manila: UST Publishing House, 2017)
- New Media at Mga Sanaysay sa Platitude ng Bagong Objek ng Media at Mediasyon sa Filipinas (Manila: UST Publishing House, 2017)
- Keywords Essays on Philippine Media and Neocolonialisms (Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2016)
- Co-editor with Gary Devilles, Kritikal na Espasyo ng Kulturang Popular (Critical Space in Popular Culture, Quezon City: Ateneo de Manila University Press, 2015)
- Editor, “Queer Media and Representations,” Plaridel (Philippine Journal of Media and Communication) Issue 18 9:2, Aug 2012.
- Special Issue Editor, “Vaginal Economy: Cinema and Sexuality in the Post-Marcos, Post-Brocka Philippines,” positions: east asia cultures critique 19:2, Fall 2011.
- Issue Editor, Media and Ethnicity, Plaridel (Journal of Philippine Communication and Media, UP College of Mass Communication) 3:1, Feb 2006.
- “Epilog: Pagmumundo ng Bago sa Panitikan o Kung Paano Hindi na Isilang Pa ang Luma,” Daluyan: Journal ng Wikang Filipino Espesyal na Isyung Pampanitikan (Quezon City: UP Diliman Sentro ng Wikang Filipino, 2016), 117-128.
- Co-writer, “Introduksiyon,” Wagi/Sawi: Mga Kuwentong Luwalhati at Pighati (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 2016), ix-xxxviii.
- “Shake, Rattle and Roll Horror Franchise and the Specter of Nation-Formation in the Philippines,” Humanities Diliman 13:1 (2016), 134-152,
- “Ilang Punto sa Pelikulang Ang Babaeng Humayo,” Pinoyweekly.org (8 Oct 2016), http://pinoyweekly.org/new/2016/10/ilang-punto-sa-pelikulang-ang-babaeng-humayo/.
- “Ang Pinoy Heist Film sa Honor thy Father,” 39th Gawad Urian (Quezon City: Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino, 2016), 12-13.
- “Akusasyon sa mga magsasaka ng Kidapawan massacre na ginamit lang sila ng Kaliwa,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (8 Apr 2016), http://altermidya.net/life-lessons-sa-akusasyon-sa-mga-magsasaka-ng-kidapawan-massacre-bilang-ginamit-lang-ng-kaliwa/.
- “Ang pangalawang presidential debate,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (21 Mar 2016), http://altermidya.net/ang-pangalawang-presidential-debate-sa-cebu/.
- “Bakit dapat minamahal ang babae,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (4 Mar 2016), http://altermidya.net/bakit-dapat-minamahal-ang-babae/.
- “Ang Oscar awards,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (1 Mar 2016), http://altermidya.net/632-2/.
- “Ika-30 anibersaryo ng EDSA,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (28 Feb 2016), http://altermidya.net/626-2/.
- “Manny, same-sex marriage, at Nike,” Life Lessons, AlterMidya.net (24 Feb 2016), http://altermidya.net/618-2/.
- “Naujan ng tula’t kolektibong buhay natin, rebyu ng Sons of Naujan: Poems in the Labyrinth of Time ni Edel Garcellano,” Gunita ng Salita, Bulatlat.com (3 Feb 2016), http://bulatlat.com/main/2016/02/03/naujan-ng-tulat-kolektibong-buhay-natin/.
- Textbooks/Teacher’s Guidebook
- Co-editor with Josefina Santos, Media at Lipunan (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press and UP College of Mass Communication, 2014)
- Co-editor with Randy Solis, Patrick Campos and Carlo Pangilinan, Communication and Media Theories (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press and UP College of Mass Communication, 2014).
- Araw: Mga Aporismo ng Pagkautal at Pagkaulol (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 2016)
- Gabi: Mga Aporismo ng Pagtanga at Pagtunganga (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 2016)
- Ko-editor si Rommel Rodriguez, Wagi/Sawi: Mga Kuwentong Luwalhati at Pighati (Quezon City: University of the Philippines Press, 2016)
- Ko-editor si Vladimeir Gonzales, Daluyan: Journal ng Wikang Filipino Espesyal na Isyung Pampanitikan (Quezon City: UP Diliman Sentro ng Wikang Filipino, 2016)
- Editor, Likhaan 5: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature (Quezon City: Likhaan: UP Institute of Creative Writing), 2011.
- Associate Editor, Likhaan 3: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature (Quezon City: Likhaan: UP Institute of Creative Writing), 2009.
3. Individual Pieces
- “Kulay,” Ang Labingtatlong Pasaway, Jun Cruz Reyes (Pasay City: Visprint, Inc., 2014), 230-233.
- “Mga Tagubilin at Pamahiin (para kay Butch),” www.hal.journal (2014).
- “Ang Pagtulog nang Mahimbing,” Pingkian: Journal of Emancipatory and Anti-Imperialist Education 2:2 (Aug 2013), 40.
- “Sideline,” Dadaanin, Alwin Aguirre at Nonon Carandang, eds. (Pasig City: Anvil Publishing, 2011), 92.
- Director, “Bigas Song for Farmers” music video (2016), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QanahWv5dmE&list=PLD7Rc5rZK37I2pFvmKAZicyJ96TTrC1sb
- “Luha,” performed by Ipat Luna, Panambitan sa Kababaihan, Bistro 70s, Quezon City, 5 Aug 06
- “Storya,” Kundiman Gala: A Benefit for Asian American Poets, Contemporary Art Center of Virginia, 30 Jan 04
Conference Papers and Discussions
- Paper Reader, “Queering Piolo Pascual: Commercial Male Queerness in Philippine Showbiz,” Film Stardom in Southeast Asia, Monash University Malaysia, 24-15 Nov 2016-12-12
- Professorial Chair Lecture, “Social Media 101: How Social Media Changed How We View Ourselves and Our Realities,” Journalism Department, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Bonifacio Hall, 17 Nov 2016
- Professorial Chair Lecture, “Social Media Gone Mad: On Duterte, War on Drugs, EJKs,” Journalism Department, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Bonifacio Hall, 17 Nov 2016
- Lecturer, “Duterte, Midya, War on Drugs: Kung Paano ang Adik at Gitnang Uring Mamamayan ay Naging Walking Dead,” 2nd AlterMidya (People’s Alternative Media Network) Congress, Quezon City, 12 Oct 2016
- Lecturer, “Midya,” National Conference on People’s Culture, Escalante, Negros Occidentl, 15-18 Sept 2016
- Lecturer, “Kulturang Popular at Narkopolitika ni Duterte: Kung Paano ang Adik at Gitnang Uring Mamamayan ay Naging Walking Dead,” Critical Pedagogy Series, CONTEND-UP Diliman, Aug 2016
Fellowships and Awards:
- Professorial Chair Holder for Journalism, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, 2015-2016
- Senior Scholar Grant, Fulbright, to serve as Visiting Professor and Researcher, South and Southeast Asian Studies Department, University of California Berkeley, Jan-June 2016
- UPCMC Gawad Serbisyo 2014, 15 years of service to UP College of Mass Communication, 14 Mar 2014
- Gawad Balagtas para sa sanaysay at katha sa Filipino, Unyon ng Manunulat sa Pilipinas, 31 Aug 2013
- Artist 3, UP Artist Productivity System, 2015-2017
- Artist 2, UP Artist Productivity System, 2010-2012, 2012-2014
- UP Centennial Professorial Chair, 2013-2014, 2012-2013, 2011-2012, 2010-2011
- UP Diliman Centennial Faculty Grant, 2009-2010