Sonia B. SyGaco is a Mass Communication graduate, magna cum laude from Silliman University and holds a master’s degree in creative writing in the same school. She finished her doctoral studies in English Language Studies at Silliman University last March 2016.
She was a recipient of the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines Jollibee Gawad Lampara, YMCA Outstanding Student, and Silliman University’s Leadership Award. For her exemplary leadership and dedication, she was given the 2013 Faculty Merit Award by Silliman University.
She was among the 2010 winners of the My Favorite Book Contest sponsored by the National Bookstore, won second place in the Dark Blue Southern Seas poetry division, a finalist in the 2013 International Haiku Capoloveri in Italy, and 3rd Place in the 20th Kusamakura International Haiku Competition in Japan in 2015.
To date, she has authored Writing Techniques in Creative Nonfiction (Textbook), Through the Looking Glass: Trends, Networks, & Critical Thinking in the 21st Century (Textbook), Tales from the Wordsmith (Short Story Collection), Seventeen Syllables of Love (Poetry Collection) and co-authored
The Saliling Tale of the Ulahingan Epic, One Act Musical Play and Communication in the Changing Times (Textbook). Her creative works had been published in several countries and was a writing fellow of the Iligan National Writers and Faigao Workshops.
She currently teaches and the chair of the Speech & Theatre Arts Department, College of Performing & Visual Arts at Silliman University in the Philippines.
- Writing Techniques in Creative Nonfiction, Great Books Publishing, Manila, Philippines 2017.
- Through the Looking Glass: Trends, Networks. & Critical Thinking in the 21st Century., Great Books Publishing, Manila, Philippines 2017.
- Tales from the Wordsmith (Collection of Short Stories) – Author, Great Books Publishing, Manila, Philippines 2014.
- Seventeen Syllables of Love (Haiku Poetry Collection)- Author, CreateSpace Amazon, Oct. 2013.
- The Saliling Tale of the Ulahingan Epic, One Act Musical Play, Co-playwright
Silliman University Press, March 2016.
- Communication in the Changing Times- Book Coordinator & Chapter Author, Mutya Publishing House, Philippines, July 2013.