In celebration of Pride Month and Ateneo Libulan Circle’s 1st Birthday, we are inviting applications to the 1st Ateneo Libulan LGBT+ Writers Workshop. We are accepting works that are related to or are interpretations on the theme of Gender, Sexuality, and/or the Body.
Although this is specially organized for Pride Week, we are optimistic that this workshop may become a prototype of a Southern Philippines-wide writers workshop which will welcome manuscripts in the languages of the South and offer support to budding and emerging LGBTQ+ writers (especially those writing in regional languages), with the help of LGBTQ+ panelists.
The one-day workshop will be held on June 27, 2018 (8:00 am – 3:00 pm) in Ateneo de Davao University, Roxas Avenue, Davao City.
Confirmed panelists are queer poet-essayist Alton Melvar Dapanas of Cagayan de Oro and gay fictionist-playwright R Joseph Dazo of Cebu from writers bloc Libulan Queer Collective, as well as lesbian poet-teacher Ria Valdez, poet David Lao, and bisexual poet Mariel Alonzo of Davao. Other local LGBTQ+ writers will be invited to also serve as panelists.
All Filipino languages are welcome but must include Binisaya or English translations.
Binisaya or English submissions should belong to the following genres:
- Poetry (2-5 poems) – for Print or for Performance (Spoken Word)
- Short Fiction (1-2 pieces) – max. 5,000 words each
- Flash Fiction (2-3 pieces) – max. 1,000 words each
- Creative Nonfiction (1-2 pieces) – max. 5,000 words each, can be micro-essays
- One-Act Play (1 piece) – max. 10,000 words
- Short Film Screenplay (1 piece) – max. 10,000 words
- This workshop is intended for writers who have not yet attended national or regional writers workshops. We encourage both AdDU or non-AdDU affiliated, LGBT+ or non-LGBT+/ally writers to apply. Individuals of all ages, religious/non-religious affiliations, ethnic backgrounds, marginalized sectors, are welcome.
- Manuscripts must not have been published in literary journals and must not have won any national/international awards or recognition.
- Manuscripts must be original and sole works by the author.
- Multiple submissions to other genres is allowed.
On Formatting and Submission
- Kindly submit both a pdf and doc/docx version of your manuscript. We highly encourage using the fonts Times New Roman/Garamond, size 12, with 1-inch margin on all sides. Spacing and visual structure will be under the author’s creative discretion.
- Attach the following in an email with the subject line: GENRE_LANGUAGE_LastNameFirstName (ex. POETRY_BINISAYA_VelourSasha)
- In the email body, please provide the following information:
Full Name, Contact Number, Facebook Profile Link, Complete Address, [not required] SOGIE (sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression), and a 1-paragraph bio.
Deadline of submissions is on June 5, 2018.
Kindly send the email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Expect a confirmatory email of reception within 48 hours.
For further inquiries, feel free to contact Mariel Alonzo at: 09275499729