Mary Gigi Constantino was born in Iloilo City, Philippines. She graduated with a degree in Computer Science major in Information Technology and presently works for a privately owned company. Reading and writing has always been a passion for her. Her first storybook, “Crooked”, was part of Gawad Panitikan Pangkalusugan by Mu Sigma Phi Medical Sorority of U.P. Manila College of Medicine. The contest aims to counter health myths and promote health and wellness for children. Her story focused on mental health, specifically about cerebral palsy. It was inspired by her experiences in PedyaKamp and Gabayan’s summer camp for special children.
Her story, “Giant Pants” was chosen as the grand prize winner in the Short Story Category (Global) of Eye Level Literary Award 2014 (Daekyo Co. Ltd., South Korea). The story focuses on resourcefulness and helping one another during times of need. Another work, “Dumaan si Butiki” was chosen as the winner of Manguna sa Unang Pagbasa contest of Save the Children First Read Project and Adarna House. First Read is a Save the Children Early Childhood Care and Development project, together with Prudence Foundation, that aims to improve the emergent literacy and numeracy of children aged 0-4 years old. It promotes learning within communities and families with preschool-aged children. “Dumaan si Butiki” also received the National Children’s Book Award Best Reads for Children (2015-2016).
In 2016, she also helped facilitate DSWD’s “Kuwentong Pambata, Gawa ng Bata”, a story book workshop for the Sama-Bajau Community. She assisted children and guides in creating stories from their own experiences. That year, she also became a fellow to the first UP ICW Amelia Lapena Bonifacio Writer’s Workshop (Speculative Fiction). A fan of horror since her teens it was a big honor for her to be a part of it and to work with established writers in the industry. Her story from the workshop, “Ayala-Bicutan via Skyway” is featured here in her sample works.
She is also a member of LIRA Poetry group. Her poetry has been included in LIRA Trenta, one of which is posted here (Damong Ligaw). She was also published in the independent publication Paper Monster Press.
- “Pito-pito” (2010) and “Light Captured” (2011), was published in the poetry collections released by Paper Monster Press
- “Damong Ligaw” and “Heat Stroke” published in LIRA 30 (2015)
“Crooked” (short story)
- Published by Mu Sigma Phi (2010)
- winner of Gawad Panitikan Pangkalusugan 2010 (Mu Sigma Phi, U.P. Manila College of Medicine)
“Dumaan si Butiki” (short story)
- Published by Adarna House (2015)
- winner of Manguna sa Unang Pagbasa 2014 (Save the Children Foundation & Adarna Publishing House)
- winner of Best Reads for Children (2015 – 2016) by National Children’s Book Awards
“Giant Pants” (short story)
- published by Daekyo Ltd (2015)
- grand prize winner in Short Story Category (Global) of Eye Level Literary Award 2014 (Daekyo Co. Ltd., South Korea)
“Si Melfa” (short story)
- included in the anthology, “May Tiktik sa Bubong, May Sigbin sa Silong” (Patnugot: Allan Derain, Ateneo De Manila University Press 2017)