Genevieve Mae Aquino (G. Mae Aquino) is scientist by profession, with a clutch of diplomas in molecular biology and quantitative genetics from the University of the Philippines (both Diliman and Los Baños campuses) and the University of Edinburgh.
She was a fellow for Poetry in English at the 2001 Iligan National Writers Workshop, the 2006 IYAS Creative Writing Workshop, and the 2008 Ateneo National Writers Workshop. Her works have previously appeared in literary journals (CCP Ani,Dagmay,Payag Habagatan, Bukambibig,and TRUCK) and local magazines (Philippines Graphicand Sunday Times Magazineof the Manila Times). She has also contributed to the following anthologies: Mondo Marcos, Versus Typhoon Yolanda, IYAS Anthology (2001-2010), The Best of Dagmay (2007-2009), andReturn to the Native: Proceedings of the 8th INWW (2001).
Her lifetime dream is to produce a body of work that combines her two great loves: science and poetry. She was born in Quezon City, raised in Davao City, and currently works as a university researcher specializing in bioinformatics for genome analysis.
LIST OF WORKS
- “Kinase” published online in Dagmayand in print in the Davao Sun Star, March 4, 2018. https://dagmay.com/2018/03/04/kinase/
- “Cross-stitch” published in the Sunday Timesmagazine of the Manila Times, February 11, 2018. http://www.manilatimes.net/cross-stitch/379426/
- “Sometimes I Speak to My Unborn Child”, published in Payag Habagatan, January 20, 2018, and the Philippines Graphic, March 10, 2014. https://payaghabagatan.ph/sometimes-i-speak-to-my-unborn-child/
- “Apoptosis” published online in Dagmayand in print in the Davao Sun Star, April 30, 2017. https://dagmay.com/2017/04/30/apoptosis/
- “Endospore” published in BukambibigFolio Volume 1, Issue 3, 2016. https://issuu.com/bukambibigph/docs/bukambibig_0103
- “Pyrrophyta” published in BukambibigFolio Volume 1, Issue 2, 2016. https://issuu.com/bukambibigph/docs/bukambibig_0102/29
- “Ode to Garlic” published online in Dagmayand in print in the Davao Sun Star, October 16, 2016. https://dagmay.com/2016/10/16/ode-to-garlic/
- “Translation”, “A Central Breeze”, and “The Beach” published in CCP AniJournal, Volume 39, 2015-2016.
- “Knitting’ published in Halvard Johnson’sTRUCK, March 25, 2015. https://halvard-johnson.blogspot.com/2015/03/g-mae-aquino.html
- “Torsion” published online in Dagmayand in print in the Davao Sun Star, March 15, 2015. https://dagmay.com/2015/03/15/torsion/