LIKHAAN: The UP Institute of Creative Writing calls for applications to Saling Panitik: Ikalawang Bienvenido Lumbera Seminar-Palihan sa Pagsasalin. The free seminar-workshop will take place on October 8 to 10, 2019 at the Sulô Riviera Hotel in Matalino St., Diliman, Quezon City.
Saling Panitik is in honor of National Artist and ICW adviser Dr. Bienvenido Lumbera. This landmark ICW undertaking will accommodate a combined total of eighty (80) teachers, textbook writers, and college students. Accepted applicants are entitled to a workshop kit, lunch, and AM/PM snacks on workshop days.
The second Saling Panitik will focus on the fundamentals of the translation process and pedagogies of translation from foreign languages to Filipino. High foreign language proficiency is not a requirement for interested applicants, as the seminar-workshop is geared to expose participants to the experience of translating from foreign languages to Filipino.
Interested participants are enjoined to carefully read the rules for application, which are as follows:
Who may apply:
1) Literature teachers should be Junior and Senior high school (K-6 to K-12) and college teachers who are interested in translating to Filipino for the purpose of incorporating translated texts as lessons in literature/reading subjects
2) College students who are majoring in a Filipino, Malikhaing Pagsulat, Philippine Studies, International Studies, Linguistics, or related degree that involves translation from foreign languages to Filipino
3) Other education workers who are interested in doing translation work into Filipino
How to apply:
1) Applicants must submit: (a) a letter of intent which should include a pledge that the participant is willing to undergo and finish a translation project; (b) a recommendation letter from one’s principal/editor, or an equivalent endorsement; and (c) a one-paragraph bio note.
2) Submissions should be sent via email to email@example.com with the subject “Saling Panitik 2019 Application.”
The deadline for applications is on September 20, 2019. Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
The three-day event will feature lectures from leading scholars of translation and literary studies. Resource persons and discussants for this iteration of the workshop are Dr. Rosario Torres-Yu (author, translator, and literary critic from University of the Philippines-Diliman), Dr. Wennielyn Fajilan (researcher and translator from the University of Santo Tomas), Dr. Aurora Batnag (translator and editor of REX Publishing and professor from De La Salle University) Prof. Rowena Festin (poet, translator and professor from the University of the Philippines-Diliman and Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino), Ms. Beverly Wico Sy (author and translator from the University of the Philippines and the Cultural Center of the Philippines), Mr. Jem Javier (editor, translator and professor from the University of the Philippines), Dr. Gonzalo Campoamor II (translator, editor, and professor from the University of the Philippines) and Dr. Ramon Guillermo (author, translator, professor from the University of the Philippines).
Lunch and snacks will be provided for the participants for the duration of the workshop. However, the workshop organizers cannot cover accommodations.
For further inquiries, call the UP ICW at 981-8500 local 2117 and look for Ms. Gloria Evangelista.