Jenny Ortuoste, PhD, is a writer, editor, teacher, and communication specialist.
She gained newsroom experience as an online editor at a major daily newspaper, and has also had stints in government in management, operations, and communications, and in the private sector in management and administration, events management, and PR.
As a horseracing industry insider for three decades, she wrote a horseracing column (“The Hoarse Whisperer”) for the Manila Standard for over ten years, where she simultaneously wrote opinion (“Pop Goes the World”), and still does to the present.
Also a creative writer, her piece on the now-defunct Santa Ana Park (The Turn for Home) won a first-place Carlos Palanca Memorial Award for Essay in 2011. Five of her short stories have garnered Nick Joaquin Literary awards. Her stories have been published in Philippines Graphic and other publications, while her creative nonfiction has appeared in academic journals – the University of Santo Tomas’s Tomas and the University of the Philippines-Diliman’s Likhaan.
UST Publishing House released her first collection of short stories, “Fictionary,” in 2016. She is currently editing for their publication her book on horseracing culture and communication, based on her PhD dissertation.
She taught herself watercolor painting and urban sketching, and also creates textile art in embroidery, quilting, and crochet. Some pieces from her “Salitang Makulay” series of embroidered works were exhibited at the “Chromatext Rebooted” show at the Cultural Center of the Philippines in 2016. Two of her artworks have graced the covers of books — one of a UST author, the other of a Fil-American poet in Northern California.
Jenny teaches master’s-level courses in communication, marketing communication, and creative writing at the UST Graduate School, where she is an assistant professor. She obtained her BA and PhD Communication degrees from UP-Diliman, and an MBA from the Ateneo de Manila University. ***
* List of publications:
- Fictionary: New and Award-Winning Stories, short stories, UST Publishing House,Manila, Nov. 2016
- Fire and Ice, novel, (writing as “Jennifer Alcasid”), Solar Publishing Corporation, Manila, 1993
- “Pop Goes the World,” opinion and arts column in Manila Standard – 2010 to present
- Weekly, April 2010 to Aug. 2016, twice-weekly starting Sept. 2016, more often in 2018 onwards.
- “The Hoarse Whisperer,” sports column, Manila Standard, weekly from April 2008 to Nov. 2019
- Various lifestyle articles in Manila Standard, 2009 to 2016; GMA News Online, 2013 to 2016
- Various academic and scholarly articles, published in journals
- Many non-fiction and fiction pieces, published in Philippines Graphic magazine, philippinegenrestories.com, manilaspeak.com, Esquire Philippines magazine, Horseman’s Digest, and other publications.