LIKHAAN: The University of the Philippines Institute of Creative Writing (UP ICW) is now accepting applications for the 58th UP National Writers Workshop to be held on 21-28 April 2019. The workshop aims to help published writers further hone their craft. Writers from the regions outside NCR are highly encouraged to apply. All fellows are entitled to a modest stipend and free hotel accommodation.
- Applicants must be writers in English, Filipino or other Philippine languages (manuscripts must be accompanied by a translation in English or Filipino).
- They must have attended at least one creative writing workshop (national/regional, including the UP National Writers Workshops), or earned a degree in Creative Writing/Malikhaing Pagsulat or related fields, or won at least one national/international literary award. Writers who have been fellows at any of the UP National Writers Workshops are eligible.
- Applicants must have published at least one book of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, or have had a full-length play or a film produced. (The qualifications may be waived in exceptionally meritorious cases, with the unanimous concurrence of the UP ICW Fellows, Associates, and Advisers).
- A digital word file (.doc or .docx) of one original unpublished manuscript. The manuscripts could be a collection of short pieces (short story, poetry, creative nonfiction, one-act play, short film scripts), or long-form work (a novel, a script for a documentary, or a full-length script for TV, film or theater) to be discussed during the workshop. Submissions should not exceed 6,000 words. Please follow this format: 12 points, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 8 1/2 x 11
- A digital word file (.doc or .docx) of an essay on “What I write, how, and why” in relation to the work-in-progress. The essay must be no longer than 2,500 words and will be the basis for a 20-minute presentation that the fellow is expected to do during the workshop. Please follow this format: 12 points, Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 8 1/2 x 11
- Scanned copies of the applicant’s published work: this includes the cover and the copyright page for books, and for anthologies and journals, the cover, copyright page, and table of contents where the name of the author and their contribution is shown. For films and plays, a digital copy of the poster with its release date.
- 58th-UP-National-Writers-Workshop-Application-Form-ver3 (available at the UP ICW office in UP Diliman, or downloadable from the ICW-maintained website http://www.panitikan.ph). Please also send the required photo in the email as an attachment.
All submissions with complete requirements and fully accomplished application form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please follow the subject line and filename format: [Language], [Genre], [Title], [Author’s Last Name]. For example: English, Fiction, “The Life,” Aquino. The attachments should either be a .DOC or .DOCX. The deadline for submission is 30 September 2018.
Only writers who go through the complete application process will be considered. The chosen fellows must be present for the full duration of the week-long workshop.
The workshop panel is comprised of the Advisers, Fellows, and Associates of the UP ICW. They are National Artists for Literature Virgilio S. Almario and Bienvenido Lumbera, UP ICW Director Roland B. Tolentino, Gémino H. Abad, Romulo P. Baquiran, Jr., Luna Sicat-Cleto, Jose Y. Dalisay Jr., Eugene Y. Evasco, J. Neil Garcia, Vladimeir B. Gonzales, Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo, Victor Emmanuel Carmelo Nadera Jr., Charlson Ong, Ramon Guillermo, and Jun Cruz Reyes. ICW Associate Anna Felicia Sanchez is the director of the 2019 workshop.
For inquiries, email us at email@example.com.