The UP Institute of Creative Writing (ICW) is now accepting submissions for the eighth issue of Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature.
The Philippines’ leading literary peer-reviewed journal, the Likhaan Journal is published annually with funding from the Office of the Chancellor of UP Diliman. It features the best of new and unpublished Philippine writing in English and Filipino. Submissions to the journal undergo a strict pre-screening and blind refereeing process by both the editors and a panel of referees composed of eminent writers and critics from within and outside UP.
Award-winning fiction writer and ICW associate Rosario Cruz-Lucero will be the issue editor, while award-winning writer Heidi Eusebio Abad and Palanca Hall of Fame awardee Eugene Evasco will serve as associate editors in English and Filipino, respectively.
The guidelines follow:
1. For its eighth issue, Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature will accept submissions in the following genres, in both English and Filipino:
Short stories ranging from about 12 to 30 pages double-spaced, in 11-12 points Times Roman, New York, Palatino, Book Antique, Arial or some such standard font. (A suite of short prose pieces will be considered.)
A suite of four to seven poems, out of which the editors might choose three to five. (Long poems will be considered in lieu of a suite.)
Literary and personal essays, including memoirs, profiles, etc., subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above).
Critical/scholarly essays, subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above)
Excerpts from graphic novels, or full, short graphic stories, for reproduction in black and white on no more than 10 printed pages, 6” x 9.” (Excerpts should be accompanied by a synopsis of the full narrative.)
2. All submissions must be original and previously unpublished.
3. All submissions must be accompanied by a cover letter (including the author’s contact information) and a biographical sketch of no more than one or two short paragraphs.
4. Submissions may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or posted to The Editors, Likhaan Journal, UP Institute of Creative Writing, Rizal Hall, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, 1101.
5. For submissions sent via e-mail, please use the following subject line and filename format: [Language], [Genre], [Title], [Author’s Last Name]. For example: English, Fiction, “The Life,” Aquino. The attachment should either be a .DOC, .DOCX or .RTF file.
6. All submissions should be received (whether by e-mail or post) no later than April 11, 2014.
7. All submissions will undergo a strict pre-screening and blind refereeing process by the editors, and a panel of referees composed of eminent writers and critics from within and outside the University of the Philippines.
8. Writers whose work will be accepted for publication will receive a substantial cash payment and a copy of the published journal.
9. The editors reserve the right to edit any and all materials accepted for publication.
10. The editors may also solicit or commission special, non-refereed articles for publication outside of the aforementioned genres and categories to enhance the editorial content and balance of the journal.