THE UP PRESS CRITICAL ESSAY WRITING CONTEST
As part of its golden anniversary celebration, The University of the Philippines Press is holding this contest to encourage Filipinos to read UP Press titles, and to promote the growth of critical literature about the multidisciplinary field of Philippine Studies.
1. The contest is open to all Filipinos, except those who are presently connected to UP Press, as permanent or contractual members of its board, editorial, marketing, and administrative departments, as well as their families up to the first degree of consanguinity.
2. The contest will have two divisions: English and Filipino.
3. In both divisions, the primary object of evaluation and/or analysis has to be a UP Press book, which may be as old as the press itself (in other words, published between 1965 and the present).
4. Submissions must be previously unpublished.
5. The critical essay, in either language, must be between 6,000 to 12,000 words, be of publishable quality, and hew strictly to the conventions of this form. References must be listed at the end of the article and follow the MLA style sheet.
6. Entries must be accompanied by an abstract, written in English, of not more than 350 words.
7. Entries must be sent to UP Press in the form of a soft copy in Open Office or Microsoft Word 2000, whether in CD or as an email attachment (the email address is found on the right side). Place UPP Critical Essay Writing Contest in the email’s subject line. The attachment’s cover letter must express the writer’s intent to join the contest, and must attest to the entry’s originality.
8. Deadline for submissions is October 30, 2015. Only one entry per division for every person is allowed.
9. There will be five winners in each division. The writer of the first-place essay will receive P30,000.00. The writer of the second-place essay will receive P20,000.00. The writer of the third-place essay will receive P10,000.00. Writers of the fourth- and fifth-place essays will receive P5,000.00 each.
10. The decision of the board of judges is final, except in cases where intellectual dishonesty (e.g., plagiarism) may be proven in any of the winning pieces. This will result in the automatic revocation of the award and its prize money.
11. UP Press reserves the right to first publication of the wining essays.
12. Finalists will be invited to, and their placements will be announced at UP Press’s collective book launch on November 27, 2015.
Address Communications to:
University of the Philippine Press
E. de los Santos Street
University of the Philippines Diliman
Quezon City 1101, Philippines
Tels. (632) 9282558
Email: [email protected]