The University of the Philippines Institute of Creative Writing (ICW) is issuing a special call for submissions to 40@40, a commemorative issue of Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature. The anthology will be released in time for the Institute’s ruby anniversary in December 2018.
The ICW began in 1978 as the UP Creative Writing Center, and will be celebrating a 40-year legacy of excellence and leadership in creative writing and national cultural development. 40@40 will showcase 40 new, unpublished works from a roster of writers closely affiliated with the institution, namely the ICW’s fellows, associates, advisers, awardees, and the alumni of the UP National Writers’ Workshops.
UP Vice President for Public Affairs and former ICW Director Jose Y. Dalisay Jr. will serve as the anthology’s editor. ICW Fellows Professor Emeritus Cristina Pantoja-Hidalgo and Jun Cruz Reyes will serve as co-editors for English and Filipino, respectively.
The guidelines for submission are as follows:
- 40@40will accept submissions of no more than 10,000 words in the following genres, in both English and Filipino:
1 short story or novel excerpt;
1 literary or personal essay (memoirs, profiles, etc.)
1 short play or play excerpt.
- All submissions must be encoded in 12 points Times Roman, New York, Palatino, Book Antiqua, Cambria or similar fonts.
- All submissions must be original and previously unpublished (not even online). Contributors should submit work in the genre and language that have been best known for. Only one submission may be made per person.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a biographical sketch of no more than 200 words. Please indicate your present or previous affiliation with the ICW—fellow, associate, adviser, workshop fellow, or awardee.
- Submissions must be sent exclusively via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please use the following subject line and filename format in the email: [Language], [Genre], [Title], [Author’s Last Name]. For example: English, Fiction, “The Life,” Aquino. The attachment should either be a .DOC, .DOCX or .RTF file.
- All submissions should be received by email no later than July 31, 2018, 5:00 pm. No late submissions will be entertained, except for extraordinary reasons.
- The editors will select the best 40 submissions which, in their opinion, best reflect the growth and the achievements of Philippine literature over the past 40 years.
- Writers whose work will be accepted for publication will receive an honorarium and a copy of the anthology.
- The editors reserve the right to edit any and all materials accepted for publication.
Previous issues of the Likhaan Journal are available for download as PDF files at http://journals.upd.edu.ph and http://panitikan.ph. Please direct any and all inquiries to the managing editor, Pipay Warren, at email@example.com.