In light of our collective struggle with the pandemic, the UP Institute of Creative Writing (ICW) is extending the deadline for submissions for the 14th issue of Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature. Entries may be submitted on or before June 15, 2020.
Submissions to the journal undergo a strict pre-screening and double-blind refereeing process by both the editors and a panel of referees composed of eminent writers and critics from within and outside UP. The guidelines are as follows:
1. Likhaan: The Journal of Contemporary Philippine Literature accepts submissions in the following genres, in both English and Filipino:
- Short stories ranging from about 12 to 20 pages (about 4,000 to 7,500 words) double-spaced, in 12 points Times Roman, New York, Palatino, Book Antique, Arial or similar fonts. A suite of short prose pieces will be considered.
- A suite of four to seven poems, out of which the editors might choose three to five. Long poems will be considered in lieu of a suite.
- Literary and personal essays, including memoirs, profiles, etc., subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above).
- Critical/scholarly essays, subject to the same length limitations as short stories (see above).
- Excerpts from graphic novels, or full, short graphic stories, for reproduction in black and white on no more than 10 printed pages, 6” x 9.” Excerpts should be accompanied by a synopsis of the full narrative.
2. All submissions must be original and previously unpublished.
3. All submissions must be accompanied by a cover letter (including the author’s contact information) and a biographical sketch of no more than one or two short paragraphs.
4. Submissions may be e-mailed to [email protected], or posted to
The Editors, Likhaan Journal 14
Room 3200, Pavilion 3, Palma Hall
University of the Philippines Diliman
Quezon City, Philippines
5. For submissions sent via e-mail, please use the following subject line and filename format: [Language], [Genre], [Title], [Author’s Last Name]. For example: English, Fiction, “The Life,” Aquino. The attachment should either be a .DOC, .DOCX or .RTF file
6. All submissions should be received (whether by e-mail or post) no later than June 15, 2020.
Writers whose work will be accepted for publication will receive cash payment and a copy of the published journal.
The editors reserve the right to edit any and all materials accepted for publication. The editors may also solicit or commission special, non-refereed articles for publication outside of the aforementioned genres and categories to enhance the editorial content and balance of the journal.
Read more about Likhaan 14 on the original call: https://bit.ly/Likhaan14