The Likhaan UP Institute of Creative Writing (UP ICW) is now opening submissions to the Philippine Translators Series (PTS) 2021. Like the Philippine Writers Series, it is a project done in partnership with the University of the Philippines Press. The call is open to all who write in the Philippine regional languages and those who can translate regional texts to English or Filipino. Scholars of Philippine literature also qualify.
In keeping with its mission to promote and develop Philippine literature, the UP ICW is launching the Philippine Translators Series to make the country’s rich linguistic and cultural repository accessible to more readers. The PTS works in tandem with the Philippine Writers Series (PWS) to nurture writers who have shaped Philippine literature. For the PTS in particular, the UP ICW will be able to support these writers in faithfully translating works in other languages while working with the opportunities and limitations of the languages they are translating to.
The guidelines for submission are as follows:
- The source material can be in any genre provided that it is written in one of the regional languages in the Philippines (eg. Chavacano, Cebuano, Hiligaynon, Kinaray-a, etc.). Works originally written in Filipino do not qualify.
- Translation manuscripts must be in English or Filipino.
- The manuscript must not have been submitted to another publisher for consideration.
- Manuscripts must also include two ten-page introductions: one to introduce the original work, and the other to discuss the translation process.
- The author of the source material is allowed to be the translator of the work as well.
- In the case of a translator using the work of a different author, permission must be secured from the author of the source material. This will be submitted as an authorization letter affixed with the signatures of the author and the translator.
Upon screening, a shortlist of submissions will be endorsed by the UP Institute of Creative Writing to undergo the requisite double blind review process of the UP Press.
Accepted contributors will receive an honorarium of P10,000 gross of tax for the author. To support translation projects, the ICW also provides a compensation of P500 per page, up to a maximum of 250 pages, for the translator. This is also subject to withholding tax.
Contributors are requested to submit their translation manuscripts on or before May 30, 2021 to [email protected] with a brief project description, a 150-word biographical note, and a current photograph of the translator. The submission must also include a photo and biographical note of the author of the source material. Please use the following subject heading for the email submission:
PTS2021_Last Name, First Name_(language of source material) to (language to translate to)_Genre